Monday 5 December 2011

let the game begin

Ok so the tandems reform kicked off this weekend. Even though the engine arrived two weeks ago life has just not permitted the commencement of the fun…

So this is what I started with. A standard 12 speed tandem bicycle with a little baby seat at the back to make it fun for the whole family.


Originally the engine would go in the back behind the front seat, this however posed a bunch of building issues that would make the project take a little longer. Problems involved new engine mounting spots that would have to be fabricated, the frame would be in the way of the exhaust and if you change the routing of the exhaust on a low budget, you could be facing leg burn problems for the rider at the back. Longer throttle and clutch cables, longer fuel lines etc. etc. etc.

After sitting with the bike for a little bit my wife said: “just put it in front”. I (for some strange reason) never really considered that option. The exhaust would work, I could use all the standard cables, hoses and mountings. All I needed was a longer chain. In fact it will be a bit of a monster chain but that is ok… we can deal with that!

So minor changes where required for the bike: I literally only needed to remove a piece of the extra crossbar in the front.



I decided to leave the little piece in the front for 2 reasons: 1. it kind of leaves the original lines of the bike in tact and 2. the angle grinder did not fit in to cut it off flush with the neck and I had nothing else to cut with…

I took the piece that I cut out, fished the ends and welded it back in, parallel with the seat post tube. Nice welding practice on thin walled tubing. I nearly tore my hair out a couple of times, but that is how we learn…





So now the engine sits very nicely in the frame with but one snag. The pedal crank on the left does not clear the engine and needs to be bent ever so slightly to make it work.



I planning on just making it black and white, want to try and keep things simple.

More next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment