Thursday 22 December 2011

RIde on!

It has been a while and MUCH water has flowed under the bridge with this bike. Tried and attempeted all kinds of things and had so much fun that I forgot to update what has been going on.
The fork has been a massive deal to me and apart from some finishing it is done and working like i wanted it to! really stoked. now we just need to add some brakes, a bicycle with no front brakes might just as well not have brakes at all. This is a mtter of great concern for my wife who is the regular passenger on the bike. I have decided to try and find some old cantilever or V-brakes since they will work the best considering the availability of mounting spots. I also expect that these will not mess too much with the look of the fork.
I seem to have had some issues with judging the tension of springs completely, underestimated every spring i bought. The ones for the fork could hardly carry the weight of the fork, even though these were the toughest ones on the shelf at the hardware shop. I found a little company In Durban called "Spring Manufature and Design", they are situated out in Jacobs at 277 Balfour Road and I can really recommend these guys. They can make anything you need from the heaviest duty coil or blade springs to light little springs. I was able dig in in their over run box and found what I needed. I ended up using 3 stacked stainless steel coil springs. This is perfect, provides a little suspention and does not bottom out under my weight on the bike. i used the wheel mounts from the donor fork. They worked perfectly, and matched the look of the the fork well!
I mounted the chain tensioner. I swopped the skate board wheel for the tesioner wheel i got in the kit because it gives a little more guidance to the chain. the skateboard wheel was not worn flat and made the chain derail. after fitting all of this and making it look fair i tried making the engin turn by engaging the clutch and pushing the bike. even with a MUCH beafier spring the engine pulled the tentioner down so much that it jammed in the frame. so i hade to revert back to the one that came with the kit. Working on another idea to try and make the home made one work.
there are unfortunately no detail pics at this point. but i have been riding it to work and have been enjoying the bike too much! I found that it needed a bit more air so i drilled extra holes in the air cleaner cover . I'm currently trying aout a bit of a longer exhaust. My passengers were complaining about being fumigated. The longer exhaust seems to have added a bit of back pressure, and has resulted in a bit more power.

here are some pics at work and on a recent trip to the botanic gardens:





the baby seat was a hand me down of a hand me down and i could not get it clean. so i got some enamel paint and painted it. I first sanded down the brittle coating that the sun  had created  and the i put on the paint. Worked well, the seat now looks like a bought one...

i'm trying to figure out some sort of a pannier for below the baby seat. Just some extra packing space. after that, paint. keep you posted! 


1 comment: